Diplomatic relations between the Philippines and Sweden, established on 17 January 1947, have opened the path for political and economic agreements in various areas.
Throughout the years, relations between the Philippines and Sweden have developed, thanks in large part to robust business and commercial activity between the two countries. Swedish multinationals such as LM Ericsson (ICT), ABB (Power generation and Transmission and heavy machinery), Alfa Laval (Agricultural machinery), SCA (Paper products), SKF (Self-aligning ballbearing), AGA (Sun-valve & industrial gas company), Electrolux (household white line), Astra-Zeneca (pharmaceuticals), Volvo (cars), Swedish Match (Disposable lighters – cricket), Scandinavian Care, Jacobi Carbons AB, Scania and H&M (Retail) are present in the Philippines.
Top Philippine exports to Sweden include integrated circuits and other electronic parts, followed by desiccated coconut and pineapple products.
To date, three bilateral consultation processes between the Philippines and Sweden have taken place, with the most recent one having been held on 9 February 2015 in Stockholm. The Philippine delegation was led by DFA Assistant Secretary Zeneida Angara Collinson of the Office for European Affairs, while the Swedish delegation was led by Ms. Annika Söder, Swedish State Secretary for Foreign Relations.
Bilateral relations are expected to be on the upswing with the Swedish embassy in Manila having reopened in Manila on November 2016.
Agreements signed between the Philippines and Sweden
1. Exchange of Notes between the Philippines and the Kingdom of Sweden Constituting and Agreement for the Abolition of Non-Immigrant Visa Requirements for Nationals of Both Countries (November 1966) – superseded by EU Schengen Agreement
2. Air Transport Agreement between the Philippines and the Kingdom of Sweden (May 1969)
3. Agreement between the Philippines and Sweden on the Inter-country Adoption Program (May 1975)
4. Agreement between the Government of the Republic of the Philippines and the Government of the Kingdom of Sweden Regarding the Export of Certain Textile Products from the Philippines to Sweden (February 1981)
5. Convention between the Republic of the Philippines and the Kingdom of Sweden for the Avoidance of Double Taxation and the Prevention of Fiscal Evasion with Respect to Taxes on Income and Capital (June 1988)
6. RP-Sweden Agreement for the Promotion and Protection of Investments (August 1999)
7. Agreement of Social Security between the Republic of the Philippines and the Kingdom of Sweden (October 2015)