Frequently Asked Questions

This FAQ page lists the most asked questions we receive at the Embassy and is only supplemental to our main pages. For complete information, please see the links to different sections of our website to be found at the top right of this page.

You may use the filter setting below to show only the FAQ category you are interested in.

Can I apply for a passport online?

No. We require all applicants to appear at the Embassy in person and to bring the originals and photocopies of the requirements as listed on our website.

Do I need my Birth Certificate to apply for a passport?

If you are only renewing your passport, and your passport is an electronic or ePassport, (maroon with microchip logo on cover), you do not need your Birth Certificate.

However, if you are applying for a new passport, or renewing an older passport (green, brown, maroon without microchip logo), or replacing a lost passport, you need to present your original Birth Certificate issued on Security Paper from the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA).

I lost my passport. What can I do to replace it?

You will need to report your passport as lost at the nearest police station and secure a police report. You will also need to execute an Affidavit of Loss and present your original PSA Birth Certificate when you apply for replacement of your passport.

How much is the fee for passport renewal?

Please click on the following link to view the fees for the different types of passport application:

How do I know that my new passport is available for release?

We will post your last name and tracking number (receipt number) on our website if your new passport is available for release. Please visit the following link on our website for the lists of passports for release, which we update regularly:

Can someone else claim my new passport for me?

Yes, as long as he/she is an immediate family member (parent, sibling, spouse, or child of legal age) with a proper authorization letter. The passport of a minor applicant shall be released to parents only or to an authorized representative with Special Power of Attorney.

How do I know if I need a visa to visit the Philippines?

Please click on the following link on our website and select your country under the “Do you need a visa?” menu to find out if citizens from your country need a visa to visit the Philippines:

I live outside of Norway and cannot visit the Embassy in Oslo. How can I apply for a visa?

Please send your requirements to the Embassy, including your passport and a self-addressed envelope, by post (we need your original passport as we will apply the visa sticker onto it). When depositing fees in our bank account, please also include the appropriate fee for return postage.

The Philippine Honorary Consulate General in Helsinki, Finland also processes visa applications for those in Finland. Kindly contact the consulate for more information.

How long will it take for me to receive a visa?

Processing of visa applications takes ten (10) working days after the receipt of COMPLETE requirements, EXCEPT for visa-required nationals for whom prior authority from the Department of Foreign Affairs is required for issuance of visas. (Visa-required nationals are those who need a visa to visit the Philippines – please see no. 1.) There is also no fixed period for securing prior authority. In all cases, the Embassy offers no assurance that you will be granted a visa.

My minor child is visiting the Philippines on her own. Does she need to present anything to Philippine immigration?

Under Section 29(a) (12) of the Commonwealth Act No. 613 or the Philippine Immigration Act of 1940, for children below fifteen (15) years of age who are unaccompanied by or not joining a parent to be admitted into the Philippines, the applicant's parents must execute a Waiver of Exclusion Ground (WEG), to be submitted at the port of entry. The requirements for WEG may be viewed here:

Minors above 15 years old do not need to accomplish a WEG.

How long is the validity of the tourist visa that you issue?

The Embassy issues single-entry visas valid for 3 months, and multiple-entry visas valid for 6 months or 1 year. For all visas, visitors are allowed a maximum 59 days per stay (meaning if you have a multiple-entry visa, you will need to exit the and re-enter Philippines after 59 days in the country).

Does the Embassy notarize documents?

The Embassy provides notarial services in various forms. The Embassy can provide an acknowledgement, wherein a consular official witnesses the signing of an instrument such as contracts, authorizations, and Special Powers of Attorney (SPA).

A consular official of the Embassy can also affirm that the signatories of a document have attested to the truth of statements in affidavits, petitions, and other such documents. This is called authentication.

For all notarial services, please submit a copy of your valid Philippine passport along with the document to be acknowledged/authenticated.

I am a Filipino and I want to execute a Special Power of Attorney. How do I do this?

Please download and fill out the form for Special Power of Attorney (SPA) from our website: You will need to appear personally at the Embassy and sign the SPA in front of a consular officer. Kindly bring a photocopy of the document and copy of your valid Philippine passport. The Embassy will then acknowledge (“red-ribbon”) SPA. The fee is NOK 225.

I have a foreign document that I need authenticated by the Philippine Embassy, because I will use it in the Philippines. Do you do this?

Beginning 14 May 2019, we will no longer authenticate public documents issued in Norway, Iceland, and Sweden that will be used in the Philippines. Such documents must instead bear an Apostille from the appropriate authority of the document’s origin country. Apostillized documents from these countries no longer have to be authenticated by any other entity and will automatically be accepted in the Philippines.

For documents from Finland for use in the Philippines, the present authentication process remains: your document will have to be authenticated first by the Ministry for Foreign Affairs (MFA) of Finland. Our Embassy will then authenticate the signature of the foreign MFA official.

Can I send my document to be authenticated to the Embassy by mail?

For documents to be acknowledged by the Embassy such as Special Power of Attorney (SPA), personal appearance before a consular officer at the Embassy is required.

Beginning 14 May 2019, only documents issued in Finland for use in the Philippines should be authenticated. In addition to sending your document (which should already have been authenticated by the Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Finland) and passport copy of the signatories, please include a self-addressed envelope that we will use to send you back the authenticated document. When depositing fees in our bank account, please also include the appropriate fee for return postage.

Documents from Norway, Iceland, or Sweden for use in the Philippines should instead be Apostillized; they will no longer need to be sent to our Embassy to be authenticated as Apostillized documents will be automatically recognized in the Philippines.

Who needs to file a Report of Marriage/Birth?

If you were married or had a child abroad and would like to have a record of your marriage or birth of your child with the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA), then you may file a Report of Marriage/Birth. For Filipina women who got married abroad, a Report of Marriage is required to use the surname of your husband on your Philippine passport.

Kindly note that foreign authorities do not automatically forward marriage and birth records to our Embassy or to the PSA.

Where can I file a Report of Marriage/Birth?

A Report of Marriage/Birth must be filed at a Philippine Embassy or Consulate covering the country where you got married/had your child. Our Embassy processes Reports of Marriage of those married/born in Norway, Finland, Iceland, and Sweden.

I am annulled/divorced from a previous spouse. May I file a Report of Marriage for my marriage to my present spouse?

If annulled, your annulment must first be annotated onto your previous PSA Marriage Certificate. If divorced in a foreign country, you must first file for judicial recognition of your foreign divorce in a Philippine court, then have the divorce annotated onto your previous PSA Marriage Certificate. You may then file a Report of Marriage for your present marriage after annotation of your annulment/divorce from your previous marriage.

Who are natural-born Filipinos?

Generally, natural-born Filipinos are those with one or both parents who were Filipino at the time of their birth. For more specific cases, you may inquire directly with the Embassy.

If you are not a natural-born Filipino, i.e. if neither of your parents were Filipino when you were born, then you may not file for dual citizenship under Republic Act No. 9225.